Putting the “Green” in Bowling Green

, , ,

In our last blog, we talked about how to be a little greener in your workplace, but what about in our community? Little things add up to make a big difference, so never think that you are too small to have an impact!

In Our Community

We could go on for days about the endless ways that you can live more sustainably but we will lead with just a few to get you started:

-Carpooling + Biking. Sharing rides with others for those longer drives or biking for smaller trips to downtown locations are both perfect transportation options when trying to be greener. With local rideshare options in Bowling Green and the carless program at WKU, the options are certainly available. 

-Eating Green. With places like Zest Juice and Beet Box right around the corner, the green (Keto, paleo, cleanse) options are not only endless but supported. Reach out to your local farmers, nutritionists or vegetarian friends and get what you need to eat green.

-Plants and Florals. Bet you didn’t see that coming did you? But really guys, decor is a necessity when it comes to creating your ideal work environment that can inspire and motivate you…so dress it up a little (or a lot). With the ability to purify the air by up removing up to 10 percent of carbon dioxide, you can’t blame us for being green advocates. Local shops such as Jules with the Flowers are doing their part one step at a time.

Jules – the one with ALL the Green

Need to hear it from your local florist herself how important a green lifestyle is? Have at it Jules! 

“Going Green is so important and there are so many ways that people are doing it.” 

While Jules Sandlin admits that she has some work to do in this area, she acknowledges the importance of being green and trying to become more conscious of it in her work practices.

Jules with the Flowers recycles their paper, cardboard and plastic products by dropping them off at Bowling Green’s local recycling drop-off center. She is also practicing energy efficiency in her everyday life by turning off unnecessary electrical appliances when not in use as well as at her shop. 

With the quick and convenient delivery service offered by Jules WTF, drivers are encouraged to take the shortest and most convenient routes to ensure that not only time and money are saved, but that the customer is happy. 

Other floral related  tips include: reusing your clear vase water on outdoor plants and using plant based cleaners to avoid harmful chemicals. 

Have you heard of the benefits of shopping local?

Turns out it also helps reduce your carbon footprint. Yet another awesome reason to come see Jules with the Flowers and support your community and environment. 

Bowling Green is alive and thriving thanks to our citizens in the community that step up to do their green duties. Do your part to keep the place that you call home the best that it can be.

Before you go: Did we forget to mention that Ment has a plant in just about every corner? Stay tuned for our blog post next week on how to use plants to your full advantage in the workplace. 

The Green Dream

, ,

Our favorite color for the month? You guessed it! We’re bringing a whole new definition to the idea of “going green” this month at Ment. 

With our community partner for March being Jules with the Flowers and spring being upon us, we couldn’t think of a better time to talk about this theme. Not to mention, I am super psyched about all of the (punny) floral wordplay that is about to happen. 

So what exactly are we talking about? Going green in every aspect of your life. Yes, this means doing your part in the community to reduce, reuse and recycle, but also means thinking outside of the box and finding ways to incorporate a little more green (literally) into your life. You can do this by decorating with plants and sprucing up your work environment or maybe focusing on healthy eating habits by adding a little more green in your diet. All of these are awesome ways to consider helping yourself stay on track to be a better you. After all, we didn’t set those 3:59s at the beginning of this year for nothing right? 

Ment to be Green

I know what you’re thinking but the coworking world is no exception to the green movement. There are so many ways to be more conscious in the workplace and here are 5 we partake in:

1. Recycling. Did you know that Ment recycles? One of the easiest and most important ways to do your part was just a given for us! We also use Land Shark Shredding, Bowling Green’s leading green and confidential paper shredding company.

2. Coffee. We practically live off of it here so why not try to save on the amount of cups that we are using for this drink that we call our lifeblood. And as if you needed another reason to use your favorite mugs, but we are all about it here! Our cabinets are overflowing with a selection so take your pick or bring in your own. 3. Natural light. No, I promise not to talk about how great it is for photo ops this time, but guys it is a money saver! Research shows that you can cut down energy costs by up to 75% by using natural light. If you don’t need the artificial light don’t use it – simple as that! (But okay I mean the at-work selfies are a plus as well). 4. Going Paperless. We may not be completely paperless here at Ment, but we aren’t far from it. With our website, advertising and outreach efforts being almost solely digital, we don’t find the need to use any more trees than necessary! Not to mention our monthly newsletters are always sent out through email.

5. Lighting. Another simple energy saving practice – using energy efficient light bulbs and simply turning off lights when you leave a room. For businesses like Ment that allow 24 hour access, this can be tricky, but we try to do this as much as possible and make sure that we can educate our members and employees on how to be more conscious of their use. 

Stay tuned to see how your local florist shop (and our latest community partner) is going green in her own life and how you can take advantage of greener practices here in your community.

Going Green with Jules

, ,

Get your green thumbs ready because this month we are going green with Jules! You may know her as “the girl with the flowers,” but we are calling her our “community partner.” 

Who you ask? Jules Sandlin, owner and florist of Jules with the Flowers of course! With spring right around the corner, we couldn’t think of a better local business to partner up with.

A Little About Jules

A WKU Horticulture alumni, Jules now owns and runs her very own florist shop. Sandlin started her career in soil science and never imagined working in floristry or owning her own business. Never wanting to have the “typical” 9-5 desk job, Sandlin says that she enjoys having the freedom to make her own hours and rules. 

“It really is so much fun doing this.” 

When Jules took on floristry as a hobby, she started getting requests from friends and started doing small jobs working from home. Her love for flowers soon turned into a growing business, leading her to win Best in Bowling Green just one year after being in business and opened her own shop late last year. 

Sandlin initially bought her shop with the intention to use it solely as a working studio, however she said people began to come in and she figured she would start selling things after that.

Her Fresh Take on Floral

With the rather traditional style of florist work in Bowling Green, Jules found the need for a fresh take on flowers. She finds that her unique style sets her apart from some of the other local shops. 

“I think that I stay ahead of the trends.” 

Jules spoke on her nontraditional background in floristry and believes that it has given her a creative edge. She enjoys making things that are not only beautiful, but unique and unseen. There is no denying that a Jules with the Flowers piece is one-of-a-kind because she believes that “not everything needs to be done a specific way.” It just may be this creative way of thinking or possibly her undeniable passion for flowers that makes her work so popular in our city. 

According to Jules, staying up to date is THE most important part of what she does. Whether it’s following other florists and media platforms or reading blogs, she is always one step ahead of the game! 

Jules also said that she never thought of herself as an artist although she would always see others’ work and think that it was beautiful. 

“People call me an artist and that’s really cool…I didn’t expect that but there is definitely a lot that goes into it.”

From weddings, proms, birthdays, romance, sympathy or any other special occasion or event, to her signature installation pieces, Jules is the go-to shop for everything fresh and floral! Delivery services are offered in Bowling Green and select surrounding areas and options for add-on gifts such as jewelry, stickers, bath bombs and more are also available. 

What She’s Up To this Month

Jules will be staying busy as she currently has 40 weddings booked this year. We are happy to report she can be found working outside of her usual “beautiful mess” at Ment every Tuesday for the month of March. Stop in to see the floral arrangements she will be bringing to us weekly! 

BEST of all: For every conference room booking we have this month, you will get a FREE floral arrangement done by Jules with the Flowers. So have that meeting you’ve been putting off and have it in style here in Ment. Call or email to book and be sure to visit Jules’ website and social media to show her some love.

As Jules says, “Flowers on everything for everyone!”

The Art of Coworking

, ,

Since starting my internship, I can safely say that Ment Cowork has become a safe haven for me. A place in which I can be myself, express myself and simply “be.” Ment has mastered the art of coworking. Not a thing? We think it should be! 

The ability to bring together people from different backgrounds, companies, walks of life, and work in the same space with the same end goal in mind: to Get stuff done. It takes a special set of skills, that’s for sure. 

How we do it

Maybe it’s the awesome interns we have, the owners that first saw potential in this 130 year-old building, the ever-growing and supportive community in which we sit upon or the amazing members that have set up a “home” here at Ment. 

Not to mention, we have this whole community partner collaboration thing on lock. Didn’t know that we provide event space as well? You do now! Even more so, we are fans of local art and have nothing against housing work here at Ment. Just ask our community partner for this month – Slow as Folk!

Amenities

We know what people want and we’ve got it down to a science. Member perks, discounts, coffee, parking passes and aesthetics – just call us the masters!

We are also super in touch with the concept of hygge here at Ment – something that we believe is an art of it’s own. We have learned to incorporate this feeling and lifestyle practice into our workspace…and the feedback has been nothing short of great!

Success!

We took a chance when we started with an empty floor and created something truly inspiring. Only a few years under our belt and we have become a masterpiece standing tall in the center of downtown Bowling Green. Ment represents so much more than just a space to work, we are an integrative community that advocates for all workplaces and individuals to do what they do best in a place that allows them to reach their potential. 

At Ment, we believe in the importance of art and want to provide an atmosphere where people feel invited to work in. Whether you’re inventing the next code for NASA or creating your latest masterpiece, we support you and all of your endeavors. You are {Ment} for great things! 

Want to know more about our story? Check out our blog on how community manager Hayley knew it was Ment to be. 

Celebrating Art and Self Expression

Art comes in all different forms: films, music, paintings, photos, entertainment. The decor in our homes, the furniture we sit on, the clothes we wear – people often forget these can all be called art! Chances are you have incorporated it into your life one way or another. With our community partner being Slow as Folk, let’s take a look at how important art can truly be as a tactic to express ourselves.

From her style to her designs, creator of Slow as Folk, Sarah Gust is a walking showcase for art. Growing up, Gust was not raised in an artistic environment. She was not even made aware of her talents until discovering them for herself in college.

“It just became my main way of expressing myself… It’s what I’ve always done,”

Being a photographer, I can relate to Sarah in that I never thought of myself as an artist. After many years of experience and education, I have developed a whole new sense of respect for those in the field. It is a path in life that allows us to not only capture beautiful moments, but tell stories and express ourselves in the process. This can be said for any medium. We are all artists in some shape or form. From the way you decorate your desk, to how you take notes, to the shirt you choose to put on. (This is probably the individualist in me thinking this.)

Why it’s important:

If we put our thoughts and emotions into a physical form, it allows us to be in control of them. Research shows that art can improve our cognitive and motor capabilities as well as our communication and emotional skills. It can also improve blood flow and promote a healthy mind. So with all of these positives, why not take an active part in it?

How and where you can practice art:

Not sure where to look? Bowling Green is bursting with art! Active workshops and locations that allow you to become your own artist such as Board & Brush, The Paint’n Place and The Pots Place. Want to observe? We have the perfect spots for this as well: Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center(SKyPAC) has multiple theatres, galleries and classes to choose from year round. The Capitol Arts Center, located right in the heart of downtown also offers theatre performances and galleries. The A-Frame is a unique venue featuring local artists’ work, live music and events to the community. Want to be a part of an art networking community? Joining BG Makers may be right up your alley.  

At Ment, we support anything that allows you to express yourself and bring out your potential. Get out in the community or even stop into Ment and get started on those things that get your heart racing and put stars in your eyes. 

Ment for Love, Ment for Art

, ,

For the month of February, we are giving a different definition to the term love. One that is centered around loving what you do and having passion for your job. With this in mind, what better community partner for the month of February than Slow as Folk, a local business that has stuck to its simplistic, natural and colorful roots. 

The Artist: Sarah Gust

Freelancer, jewelry maker, painter, plant lover, Starbucks barista and establisher of ‘Slow as Folk’, artist Sarah Gust really can do it all! And now she is the head of a business that has established a community partnership with Bowling Green’s first coworking company, right in the heart of downtown Bowling Green. 

A building with open areas, exposed brick, natural light and tons of wall space – we were basically calling her name! 

Sarah Gust discovered her love for art in college when she began to explore a niche that she never knew she had. Following her own path, she found Bowling Green about six years ago and established a career and business for herself. Gust realized that she wanted a clearer direction for her art and rebranded herself early last year, re-entering the art community with a fresh brand – Slow as Folk. 

It just clicked and it felt right. I realized that to create a sustainable business I needed to move at a pace that was comfortable for me – slow.

Gust also connected with the word ‘folk’ as that describes the type of artist that she is given her self-taught art background and varying practices. Gust believes in the power of focusing on herself throughout her art in order to allow her to create quality work that is not rushed. Gust creates everything from paintings, drawings, stickers and designs, to henna work and one of her newest specialties – earrings and jewelry. Gust works mainly as a freelancer taking part in pop-up shops, markets, workshops and sales through her website and Instagram. 

The Brand: Slow as Folk

Slow as Folk is centered around minimalism and simplicity. As an artist, Gust finds herself attracted to brightness as well as shapes found in nature. She says that she draws inspiration from people and things around her in everyday life. 

As our community partner for the month of February, Slow as Folk not only has the super cool privilege of receiving access to Ment’s workspace and perks, but will also be displaying art in our office on the second floor for the entire month! 

Slow as Folk art will be available for viewing and purchasing now until February 29 from 8-2 Monday through Friday at Ment. If you are downtown (and we know you will be), stop in to see some awesome pieces and maybe even meet the artist herself!  We are so excited to be sharing the love this month with Slow as Folk and to have our coworking space filled with a little more beauty. If Ment Cowork wasn’t already an “inspired” place, we sure are now!

Walking the Walk: My 3:59 Book Review

, ,

When Ment brand and community manager Hayley Kruth began working with Dan and the My 3:59 movement, she had no idea that it would lead to such big life changes. 

Kruth took on Dan Klein as a client through her personal business MoxieK and assists with his brand, story, websites and social media. Kruth started reading his book: My 3:59 The Man I Am Called to Be for research purposes, but quickly came to find out how relevant the book was in relation to her own life. Kruth has since created her own 3:59s, including running a 10k marathon in May and committing to writing two blogs a week for her personal website. Kruth discussed the challenge of taking on both a physical and personal goal and how different the two can be.

“Everyone is doing these big goals and going for all of these huge things,” Kruth said. 

She talked about how it is interesting to see everyone’s personal journeys and how they differ. 

“All goals are super valid and important…” she said. “You don’t have to be recovered from cancer to find this book relatable.” 

Kruth discussed how the Together Challenge and community group is not something that you can join without being serious about it. She mentioned how Klein has laid out specific rules and guidelines for participating in the challenge, including following the SMART goals format and taking part in weekly check-ins to provide proof of progress. 

“It’s all about holding yourself accountable,” she said. “It may sound simple but it’s not easy…To live every single day in that type of way, it takes work.” 

While she didn’t begin to read the book until 2019, she has found it to be helpful so far in presenting Klein’s story in a way that connects and draws in the reader. Kruth is currently on chapter six: Foundations of Faith and Family – the first of the book’s four part layout. She has enjoyed seeing how his story unfolds and is looking forward to seeing how Klein presents his challenge and how he takes it on – because even though we know about Dan Klein and his journey, sometimes nothing beats reading the book. 

We give it five stars and a Ment Cowork seal of approval. My 3:59 is truly more than just a story of one’s journey, it is community, love, support, encouragement and inspiration all wrapped up in 287 pages. For anyone wanting to accomplish a goal, we recommend this book as a way to move one step closer towards achieving your impossibles. 

We are cheering on Hayley as well as the rest of you My 3:59 warriors and can’t wait to see you reach your goals! And don’t worry, you’re not alone – we are all in this together. Plus, we’ve got Hayley here nudging us to stay on track, but let’s face it, she’s right. We are capable of so much here at Ment and we can’t wait to show you all! Hayley has taken on an “If not now, when?” attitude and we think that is the perfect way to look at this year. 

Sharing Our 3:59s

With all of this 3:59 talk, I know what your thinking – what is YOUR 3:59??  I guess it’s about time we share with you some of our personal goals for this year. 

First off, I’m just going to be real with myself here – I am far from perfect. I have strayed off of my productive path this past year and lost site of what is important. But as they always say, “There’s always next year right?” Well I am claiming this as MY year. I have many 3:59s. More than there is time to share! However my main one is simply to start living in a state of wellness

We’ve all probably heard this general statement, but what does this mean to me? Overall, it’s doing little things that may be simple, but not always easy – things like drinking more water, eating healthier and becoming more active. I’ve been looking into some of our community partners such as Beet Box, Zest and The Spot and I have to say, I think they are going to be making my 3:59 a little easier to accomplish.

I also created a professional 3:59 for myself to have successfully branded my name and business by the end of this year. This means increasing posts and content on my social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) as well as working on my LinkedIn profile and website.I think I just might be paying a little visit to Ment’s brand manager, Hayley Kruth for a little help on that one. 

I’ve got a lot of work to do this year but it helps to know that I have encouragement from my fellow Ment members and to know that I am not alone. Here at Ment, we all taking the challenge to achieve something new this year. Here are a few of the things that our fellow staff and members are choosing to work toward: 

Our community relations intern Carli and Hayley decided to make theirs with lifestyle goals in mind: 

Carli Hughes – Ment Community Relations Intern

“Become more active”

“Say ‘no’ more”

Hayley Kruth – Ment Brand and Community Manager

“Write at least two blogs a day”

“Run a 10K in May”

A few of our other members were in the same boat as they provided answers such as: 

“Be confident”

“Stay active”

“Finish MBA”

Many of our members chose to set professional goals – something that is a must if you are working in a professional environment or position. Some of these included: 

“Broaden my local and professional network”

“Execute effectively” 

“Strengthen professional network”

“Lead peers / develop team performance and capability”

Others chose to go with a more direct path – something else that may prove to be useful in the future. Being specific about what you want and providing exact times, dates or numbers can be that push of motivation that you need and makes your goal measurable. When you are looking at your SMART goal, you won’t have to question the extent of which you need to do this because you have already identified it. Here are some examples that we took from a few members: 

“Make 5 new clients” 

“Land one state level IT Quality contract” 

“Reach 350 participants”

“Grow my thought leadership value in marketing a business strategy (blog, teaching, etc.)”

Perhaps you have some rather simpler goals that can be daunting. Things like drinking more water or finally getting around to that spring cleaning that you’ve been trying to do since last year. As one member said: 

“Clean out some baskets and drawers at home ‘It’s a major task!’ ” 

That it is, and we know how you feel Jackie!

Maybe you want to be broad and just throw it all into one summarizing statement: 

“Do more better”

Well Tim, I think that just about covers it. Ditto! 

One member decided to give herself a little advice and reminder for her 3:59 this year: 

“Remember to try your best everyday. Count your blessings and remember that nothing is permanent except for tattoos.” 

We couldn’t have said it better – a daily reminder that we could all work towards remembering. 

It’s kinda cool how everyone is at a different place in their lives, isn’t it? We’re all working towards something that will get us one step closer to the next successful chapter in our books. The most important thing to remember: it’s not about how you get there or when, but that you take the first step in doing so. Start working towards your impossibles right now and know that we are here to help you along the way! 

While we may not be able to run that 10K with you, we can guarantee an open coworking space that gives you the necessities to succeed in all aspects of your daily life. What is that saying again? “Happy ment member = happy life?” Although, if you come to the office with your yoga mat or drawers full of sewing supplies to sift through, we won’t judge – we will probably just join in! 

Practicing Encouragement

With the new year in full swing and myment word being encourage{ment}, I figured what better time to share some more about my new favorite word!

Encouragement is described as the act of giving support, confidence, or hope. Encouragement inspires, motivates, reinforces, and builds loyalty. All of these things are necessary in creating a successful work or business environment as well as seeing how it can help you thrive in your personal life and relationships.

If you see someone working hard, a simple, “You got this!” or “You’re doing great!” can make a world of difference. We all love a little extra confidence boost or to be recognized occasionally so why not give back that feeling to others!   

Here at Ment, I have noticed that the coworking atmosphere is truly one of a kind and full of positivity and encouragement. Motivation can be seen around here in many different forms including the endless member benefits, community partnerships and office spaces that meet the needs of everyone.

An atmosphere where you can truly thrive with the ability to work in a public space and interact with others allows you to see just how encouraging others can be. It is so cool to witness people from different businesses working together and fostering each-others creativity and ideas. Want to work alone? We encourage that too! Ditching the distractions is the number one goal. Personally, my inspiration stems from the fact that I can literally choose a different office setting from day to day to work in. An aesthetically pleasing space in the heart of downtown – yes please!

With frequent members activities, emails, and newsletters, we keep our members in the loop with what’s going on around the office and always encouraging them to take part in our Ment community. Our Ment staff is also excellent at offering constructive feedback and inspiration to one another.

Being excited to come to a place because of the friendly faces and awesome environment is the motivation that I need to continue to grow and I know there are so many others out there that feel the same!

We are no strangers to greetings and conversation around here. I guess what I’m trying to say here is you can’t spell the word encouragement without Ment…and we think there’s a good reason for that * wink wink*.

I have heard people say, “Kindness makes the world go round” and I am definitely a firm believer that little things can go a long way. I am deciding to make encouragement more of a prevalent thing in my daily life and I am encouraging you to do the same. Don’t have a new years resolution yet? Maybe you just found one!

Ment’s 3:59 – Committing to the Community

Over the course of the last few weeks, we have developed many individual 3:59s for this year but before we get to those though, we want to share with all of you Ment’s overall business 3:59 for the year!

Our 3:59 is making a commitment to connect and collaborate with local businesses and individuals in the Bowling Green area. 

Ment Cowork’s Brand and Community Manager, Hayley Kruth, is aiming to grow the Community Partners program more than ever this year.

“Our 3:59 for 2020 is going to be to have a local community business partner to partner up with for every month of the year,” Kruth said. 

Our 3:59 comes from our foundational ideas in collaboration over competition. These ideas represent the fact that collaborating with others will bring more success than trying to win on your own. Sometimes working together is the way to go! We will continue to provide our current and future Ment members, as well as those we meet outside of our space, with the benefits collaborating can bring.

Each month, we will be featuring a different business on our social media channels, in our member newsletters, and of course providing some awesome office and meeting spaces for them in return. Our members will receive access to these business’s services or benefits such as discounts or memberships. Along with all of this, we simply get to immerse ourselves into the community. We are learning more about Bowling Green and what it has to offer and they are learning about us. It also helps our members who may not solely be working in Bowling Green, to become familiar with what our community has to offer. Providing exposure from other companies to our members will allow us to build brand awareness and create lasting relationships with Bowling Green residents, businesses and beyond. 

As we introduced you to My 3:59 for the month of January, we will continue to bring you new concepts and themes each month. We are excited to share the benefits of this program and can’t wait for you all to see what we have in store for 2020 and beyond!