Challenging the “Impossibles”

Hey guys, it’s your latest intern Hannah coming back to you in this 2020 year! With the new year officially being here, that means it’s time to start getting serious about those New Year’s resolutions or if you missed it, what we are calling “3:59s.” We are excited to be taking part in the My 3:59 movement and the #TogetherChallenge for the 2020 year.

Dan Klein, author of My 3:59: The Man I Am Called to Be, says that setting goals allows him to be the best version of himself. We could all improve something in our lives and in ourselves right? What better time to start than now! The movement is all about setting goals and setting out to achieve the “impossibles” in our lives. We are encouraging you to set your own 3:59s and achieve them with us whether you are doing the #TogetherChallenge or not. 

As we previously talked about, setting Goals is an imperative part of the process of becoming successful.  Confuscoius says, “The man who moved a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” We are choosing to move our own stones, one step at a time. By following the SMART goals format, we will be making our own goals, creating a plan of action, sharing them with others and most importantly, accomplishing them! Sounds easy enough, right? Chances are you already have a goal in mind, now it’s time to act on it! 

Ment is partnering up with Dan and My 3:59 to encourage everyone to challenge themselves this year and become a part of a life changing experience. And guess what? There’s no cost to join! This is where your journey begins. We have already have our 3:59s – do you? Don’t waste time because the next 363 days will be over before you know it. Get up and move your mountain and always know we are here to help!

Hello Menternship

, ,

Hi guys! You may have been reading a few of my words recently or seen a new face around here at Ment, so I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Hannah Vanover and I am the newest intern at Ment Cowork! I will be managing and assisting with all things media related. I am so excited to be getting started here and to have a change of pace this year and learn a few new things. 

I am a public relations and photojournalism major at WKU. I’m originally from Owensboro, Ky., and now currently live in Beaver Dam and commute to college in Bowling Green. Don’t let my native location fool you though…I love immersing myself into different communities! I am an avid taco lover and homebody who also loves people. My friends typically call me “supergirl,” possibly because I love keeping myself busy and tend to do the “impossible” when I take on too many things that I am passionate about. Along with my Ment internship, you can find me as a cashier at my local Walmart or freelancing as a reporter and photographer at two different publications in and near my town. If you still can’t find me, chances are I am out photographing for my business: HV Photography or in my home studio. I also may be at home hiding out and binge watching the entire series of New Girl on Netflix for the fifth time…the world may never know! 

As I hear it is tradition, it’s time to announce my ment word which is *drumroll* Encouragement. While this may seem like a simple one, it is important to me. I am a believer that kindness goes a long way. A helping hand, a smiling face or a word or two of encouragement – it never hurts. As I am writing this just one week before the new year, I encourage you all to find ways to offer support and inspiration to others. Start thinking about your own 3:59s because I know I have mine! And be sure to stay tuned for some encouraging posts in the following weeks!

What is My 3:59? The Story and Name Behind the Movement

This month, we are introducing you to our community partner, My 3:59 and the man who started it, Dan Klein. This year, we are ditching the New Year’s resolutions for “3:59s.” Want to set a goal for yourself that you’ve been aiming towards for a while? Now is the time with the new year approaching. Klein’s story has inspired us to do the same. 

Klein created his own movement after becoming inspired by Roger Bannister, the first person to break the four-minute mile barrier when, at the time, it was scientifically proven that the human body just couldn’t do it. Despite all of the naysayers Bannister not only to set out to break the mythical barrier – he did it! He did the impossible, he broke the 4 minute mile. He ran it in 3:59. 

As a husband and father of four, Klein was diagnosed with cancer and walked away with a life changing perspective on life and the things that the human body is capable of – both mentally and physically. Dan Klein started the My 3:59 movement with the dunk of a basketball at the age of 42; a goal that he had set for himself after his diagnosis. After going through cancer and experiencing everything the illness teaches you physically, emotionally, spiritually and psychologically, he approached the dunk with the 3:59 attitude and did his impossible – his 3:59. He made the dunk but more importantly, he achieved the 3:59 spirit. 

Since the then, there have been other 3:59s. Physical ones like hiking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and completing the Louisville Ironman. Along with other life 3:59s – starting his own business, learning to play the guitar with one of his sons, and writing a book to share the My 3:59 story with others. Many others have responded by setting their own 3:59s as well! Everything from someone starting a non-profit they always dreamt about to someone acting in a play to a grandmother learning to swim for the first time at the age of 72 so she could swim with her grandchildren. 

“It’s really inspiring to see people take the My 3:59 story and spirit and turn it inward and become very intentional about doing the impossibles of their lives, their “I always wanted to….”, their 3:59s,” Klein said.

Dan Klein’s book can be purchased on Amazon or found at his website along with additional information. Klein is also available as a speaker at events where he shares motivation and encouragement with others. 

3:59s are all about setting goals for yourself and achieving them. If Klein’s story can teach us anything, it’s to keep pushing until you reach the impossible!

At Ment Cowork, we have achieved a series of 3:59s of our own. Being the first of its kind in Bowling Green, we have worked to establish an  environment that is the ideal place for members to do business. Stay tuned to hear about some of our personal goals here at Ment Cowork and to hear how we are planning to make some changes of our own.

Introducing Our Newest Mentern Carli

, ,

Hi friends! My name is Carli Hughes and I’m the newest Mentern. I’m so excited to be starting my internship here at Ment where I’ll be able to explore what this exciting journey has to offer. As you’ve gotten to know all the previous interns, I am no exception and would love to share who I am with you. 

I was born and raised here in Bowling Green, KY with a background in makeup, skincare & esthetics. Through this career I’ve learned the importance of marketing and social media presence and how this can greatly impact a brand. Being from Bowling Green I enjoy connecting with the community and will often shop local; it’s just the culture here! I believe coworking is a wonderful addition to some of the things our city has to offer for our community. 

Sometimes I find talking about myself brings back flashbacks of the first day of school when you have to share with the class a few things about yourself and you’ve completely gone blank. Who am I? What defines me? What are some interesting quirks? I enjoy going to the movie theaters alone, I rewatch the same 5 shows, I can successfully knit a square & I believe the perfect date is April 25th because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. (Shoutout to all my Miss Congeniality fans) I think it’s important in life to take every moment as it comes and find the right group of people to surround yourself with. Do what makes you happy, have some fun & just do you boo.

I like to keep things short and sweet so I hope you’ve enjoyed getting to learn a little more about me and what I value. Before I sign off, I’d like to share my -ment word with you and why I feel it’s important. I chose momentum. The law of momentum states that an object will stay in motion until it meets a resisting force. So I leave you with this – keep pushing forward because there’s nothing standing in your way.

Goodbye Menternship

, , ,

As I spend one of my last days here at 911 college street, I am able to reflect on my time spent at Ment. Coming into this internship, I was unfamiliar with the coworking industry and the community that came with it. From the inspiring space to the empowering people, my time here at Ment has been nothing short of amazing. 

Between content creation and management, to organizing events and keeping in touch with other professionals in the community, I feel I have gained real world insight about the public relations industry as a whole. Being a mentern has given me knowledge that I can’t learn in a classroom and I am so thankful for the experience! I want to give a special thanks to Hayley, Valerie and JD for providing me with this opportunity. 

In just a few short weeks, I will be graduating and making the move back to Lexington, Kentucky to pursue my photography business full-time. I plan on implementing social media and creative writing skills that I have gained here at Ment into my own business. If you want to keep up with me, feel free to follow my social accounts at @abigail.e.photography. 

I hope that you all have enjoyed reading my blog posts over the course of the semester. I have loved being a part of this community and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for Ment Cowork! It’s not a goodbye, rather a see you later. 

I’m coming for you, big girl world.

Ment Insider Tour

, , , , ,

If you follow us on instagram, you are probably familiar with what our space looks like by now, However, several people who wonder to our blog have no clue who we are or what we offer as a coworking facility. Head to the link below to check it out and feel free to leave a review on what you think of our space in the comments!

The Newbie Pack in Review: The Spot BG

, , ,

You guys have heard us talk about our friends at The Spot before, however today we are bringing you in on our entire experience with them. Hayley & I looked up their class schedule and decided we were going to attend an upcoming yoga class. Upon viewing their website, we decided to YOLO it and purchased the student introductory offer, giving us 14 days of unlimited access for $49. 

If you’re like me, once you sign up for something it is so much easier to commit. It was even easier to be able to just walk across the street and get our classes scheduled for the following two weeks, one nearly every day. This was intimidating at first, being two formerly active, but crazy schedules allowing no room to exercise, women. But let me tell you, it was so worth it. 

We’re going to share some of our favorite classes below:

Power Vinyasa Yoga

We started the week off with Monday morning yoga at noon. This power yoga class was fast paced yet relaxing, energizing, and enabled us to break a sweat during the day to break up our usual routines. Yoga provides a nice brain break for all ages, and you can move at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. 

Boxing & HIIT 

Shew, this one will leave you feeling sore, in all the right ways. If you have any frustration to work off, this is the class for you! I love a challenge and feel so good afterwards. 

Reformer All Levels 

Hayley & I had never experienced a pilates class before and it is unlike any other workout. The reformer class is great for all ages! Jump boards are entertaining while working your legs and abs at the same time, and you can adjust the resistance as needed. Think trampoline while you’re laying down. 

TRX

I was unable to make it to this class, however Hayley received a head to toe workout using just her body as the weights. Once you figure out how to use the equipment, it truly feels amazing to use your own body to do the work – similar to yoga. Like many classes we went to, TRX will leave you feeling sore but accomplished. 

Spin

A personal favorite, because I needed a good butt kickin. As the lights go down and the music gets loud, spin allows you to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Ment member Emily frequents Spin class and says her favorite part about the class is how Charolette the instructor pushes & motivates her. Emily tracks her scores through her Apple watch and is constantly working towards new goals. 

Aerial Yoga

This class was so much fun. Grab a group of your friends and head to aerial for a relaxing full body stretch and look cool doing it. Why just hangout when you can hang upside down? 

When you get stuck, it’s okay to laugh about it. 

And Lastly… Yin Yoga

The best way to end the two weeks was with Yin yoga. This class is peaceful, slow paced and allows you to relax your brain while getting a good stretch in. We call this adult nap time, and if we could do it every day we definitely would. 

Recap… Now unfortunately I found the Spot a little too late and move away from Bowling Green in two weeks *cue tears* however Hayley is looking into becoming a member! If you’re considering trying out the Spot, we say go for it! From the encouraging environment to the multiple different options for breaking a sweat, we can honestly say you owe it to yourself to give it a try!